Missing Dad and Hating Huntington's Disease

Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Missing Dad
It is one of those days that I miss him so much. My dad passed away October 19, 2007 at the age of 54 from complications due to the genetic Huntington's Disease. He inherited on his mom's side who also passed away young. The disease has a 50/50 chance of affecting my 3 brothers and I. So far I haven't seen any definite signs of any of us having it and we are all about the age people in my family start really seeing signs. Of course it could be that none of us want to see those signs. A lot of those signs are forgetfulness but that comes with age too, dropping things, falling for no apparent reason, uncontrollable movements in arms and legs or hands. I remember first seeing signs in my dad but didn't realize it was Huntington's. A lot of things weren't really known about it at that time or at least it wasn't discussed with us because we were young. I knew it was a disease but I didn't realize that it could be passed from one generation to another. I had my first daughter when my grandma passed away from it and still didn't know that it could be passed down to even her if I was to have it. It makes me sad that I wasn't told, I am sure deciding to have kids would have been a bigger issue. But that doesn't matter now because there is nothing that can be done about it. I love my girls and wouldn't want it any other way. Praying for a cure in my lifetime but if not hopefully in theirs. Wonderful memories of my dad will always be with us, and that can't be taken away. My dad loved to fish, make homemade ice cream, and take us on adventures. Not saying he was the perfect dad but I loved him regardless of his faults, because don't we all have them. Some great pictures of him and one is of him making ice cream! RIP dad we love and miss you every day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment